What distinguishes a NICU Ambulance from a standard emergency medical vehicle in terms of equipment and facilities?
● Active cooling units
● Nasal cannula
● Nitric oxide: This is for the babies who suffer from pulmonary hypertension
● Cardiac monitoring: It also has cardiac monitors which constantly checks on the babies for any vital signs or changes.
● Temperature: The ambulances maintain the correct temperature for the babies and are able to keep them warm at all times.
● Vascular access: Vascular access procedures can be done while on board if needed.
● Medical team on board: Doctors and nurses are another major difference between regular and NICU ambulances. In NICU ambulances it is vital to have two emergency medical technicians (EMTs), one nurse, and one respiratory therapist on board at all times.